- Replacement of locks with a cylinder locking mechanism
- Installing a new lock
- Replacement of lever locks in London
Before changing the lock, you need to understand what type of device is installed in your doors. Most likely, it will be either a cylinder or a lever – they are the most common in recent years. A combination of these devices is also possible. Having dealt with the type of mechanism, you should find out whether it is necessary to carry out a complete dismantling and replacement of the device, or it is enough just to change the secret mechanism if the problem of the jammed lock is in it. If the keys are lost, it is also not necessary to dismantle the entire lock, it is enough to update the “insides”. If, nevertheless, a complete replacement of the locks is required, then the procedure depends on the type of locking device.
Replacement of locks with a cylinder locking mechanism
The first step is to prepare all the tools required for dismantling and reinstallation. You will need Phillips and slotted screwdrivers, a “grinder”, a drill with drills of different diameters, a special gun for installing rivets. Having decided on the tool, you can get to work.
To dismantle the old lock, first remove the cylinder by unscrewing and removing the fixing screw. Then the handles of the lock are removed and the block connecting the handle and the swivel mechanism is removed. It remains to unscrew the screws from the end part of the lock case and pull the latter out of the door.
When buying a secrecy mechanism, the easiest way is to take an old maggot with you and compare. Otherwise, you need to measure the thickness of the door, since the cylinder must match exactly: do not protrude beyond the edge and do not “hide” inside the canvas.
The body of the new lock must be the same size as the old one. In case it doesn’t fit exactly into the hole.
When choosing lock handles, it is important that the strips of the new ones are the same size as the old ones, or slightly larger. Otherwise, holes from disassembled handles will be visible on the door.
Installing a new lock:
- First, insert a new body and check if the old bolt holes can be used. If necessary, drill new holes, fix the body.
- The handles will most likely require new mounting holes as well. In order to figure out where to drill them, you need to insert a larva and a bar for pens into the lock. Then the handle is put on the larva and the bar, pressed against the door. The holes can now be marked and drilled. If the handles are attached to the ties, the holes must be made on both sides and slightly wider. Then the handles are independently installed and connected with ties.
- The structure is fixed with screws. The latter should be located on the inside of the door, and on the outside there will be hats without slots. From the bottom, the handles are also fixed with 7 screws.
- The operation of the lock is first checked with the door open. You need to turn the key and the handle both from the outside and from the inside. At the same time, you should not feel any obstacles or difficulties in movement. When everything is in order, the lock is checked with the door closed. If suddenly the lock does not turn, the reason for this is eliminated. Perhaps you need a wider opening in the door leaf.
When the lock is in good working order, you do not need to make any effort anywhere to turn the handle or key. The mechanism should work smoothly, without jamming and extraneous sounds.
Replacement of lever locks in London
Such devices have a more complex design than cylindrical ones, so more effort will be required to replace them:
- The first step is to unscrew all fasteners from the end of the mechanism. There are no more fasteners, so the lock can be freely pulled out of the door.
- Decorative strips are attached to the inside and outside of the door with special rivets or bolts. Rivets (3 pcs.) Drill out, unscrew the bolts. The lining can then be removed.
The locking device was disassembled, now you need to inspect it, measure it and select products with the same dimensions. After that, you can start installing the lock:
- First you need to check whether the dimensions of the new castle exactly match the old one.
- In the case of a hole in the door, it is increased to the required size.
- Then the match of the turnkey holes is checked. The latter should be easily inserted into the lock both from the inside and from the outside. The holes are modified if necessary.
- When everything is checked, the lock is attached to the door with rivets, screws or bolts.
- To install decorative trims, you need to press them against the door to the installation site and insert the key into the keyhole. Choose such a position of the linings so that the key freely enters and exits the lock. In this position, the decorative panels are riveted to the door.
- The operation of the mechanism is first checked when the door is open from the inside and outside, and then when it is closed. If the lock does not turn, you need to eliminate the cause of this. Most likely, you need to slightly enlarge the hole where the crossbars of the lock enter. Having eliminated the malfunction, check the operation of the lock again.
If you have lost your keys in London, a lock is jammed or another malfunction occurs, do not panic and worry too much. You may not need to completely change the lock. First, determine whether it is definitely impossible to repair it without a complete dismantling, to do this, call us on the phone: 0203 026 7058.
When it comes to replacing locks on front doors, it’s essential to rely on the expertise of a professional locksmith. At Locksmith London 247, we specialize in providing top-notch locksmith services. Whether you’re located in Canary Wharf or its surrounding areas, our skilled team is here to assist you. We understand the importance of securing your home after a burglary incident. Our Burglary repair locksmith service is designed to restore your peace of mind by providing effective and efficient solutions to reinforce your front door security.
Replacing locks on front doors requires precision and expertise. Our professional locksmiths have the knowledge and tools to handle a wide range of lock types and security systems. Whether you need a lock replacement due to wear and tear or as a proactive measure to enhance your home’s security, you can trust us to deliver reliable and prompt locksmith services.
At Locksmith London 247, we prioritize your safety and satisfaction. Our dedicated team is available round the clock to address your locksmith needs. From lock replacements to burglary repairs, we strive to provide the highest level of service to ensure your home’s security is restored.
Opening hours: Around the clock